This sacred and beautiful building, which Moulton folk have loved, cared for and prayed in for eight hundred years. Our forefathers have spared no amount of time, money or hard work to make it beautiful and it is our task, is to maintain it, for God's glory and for the use and enjoyment of future generations.
The parish church of St Peter stands to the south of the village, amongst trees and in a fine and elevated position. The impresive situation of this church is iteself a noteworthy feature, standing on the side of a beech crowned hill, with the lofty and elegant proportions of its embattled flint walls adding to the beauty of this commanding position, overlooking the river valley and the countryside around. There may have been a Saxon church on the same site, or in another area of the village, if there was, no trace remains and the is no record of it in the Doomsday Book published in 1086.
The present church is Normans in origion. The extent of the Norman nave can be seen in the exterior walls where the stone shaft marking its four corners can be seen in the east and west walls of the south aisle and also, in a simpler form, in corresponding places in the north aisle.
After the Norman Conquest, the Cockfields (a younger branch of the De Vere family) who held the principal Manor appear to have built or re-built the Church close to the Ancient Manor
House which stood to the south. The first rector was recorded in the thirteeth century.
The registers of this church date back to the year 1560.