The church, which is cruciform, consists of - square west tower, nave, with north and south transeptal chaples and chancel.
The approximate internal dimensions of the building are as follows:-
|Nave||Length 50ft 3ins,||Breadth 24ft 9ins|
|Chancel||Length 40ft 9ins,||Breadth 19ft|
|Aisles||Length 31ft,||Breadth (North) 13ft 9ins||(South) 11ft|
|Chapels||Length 19ft 6ins,||breadth (North) 17ft||(South) 16ft 3ins|
|Tower||Length(E/W) 11ft 9ins,||breadth (N/S) 10ft,|
|Length(N/S) 9ft 10ins,||breadth (E/W) 8ft|
This church has an imposing exterior, which is worth viewing generally from a short distance away and also examining in detail (although much of what we see today is a careful 19th century restoration of the original work).
The square western tower dates from the early 14th century and gives the appearance of being built on a slightly lower ground than the rest of the church. It is a noble tower and is seen at its best as we approach the church from the west. The two western corners are strengthened by small buttresses. The tower is now somewhat dwarfed by the lofty nave and clerestory, which together with the aisles and chancel, were erected during the late 15th or early 16th centuries, at the height of the Perpendicular period.
The west doorway has a deeply moulded arch, under a hood mould which rests upon the original corbel heads. The two-light west window above it is a very pleasing example of decorated architecture. the ringing chamber is lit by single, trefoil headed windows and above the western one is a clock, which was given in 1879, in memory of Rev E.Mortlock, the restorer of the church.
The tall double belfry windows have trefoil heads and later transoms. Those on the north and south faces of the two are flanked by additional single windows, also trefoil headed with transoms.
There is an embattled parapet and rainwater is drained from the tower roof by means of fine gargoyles on the north, south and west sides. The unusual and distinctive weather-vane takes the form of a large and healthy looking fish.
To the north of the tower are the remains of some kind of small annexe, which may have been an anchorite's cell, and which had a doorway into the west wall of the north aisle of the church.
Style of Architecture
The remainder of the church is in the Perpendicular style of architecture and is over a century and a half later than the tower.
The exception to this is the 12th century work in the eastern and western walls of the aisles. Those on the south side take the form of stone columns in the flint masonry and those on the north side are upper parts of stone quoins. The north aisle doorway has a plain arch, with slightly concave moulding.
The walls of the church are pierced by large and fine Perpendicular windows. Those in the aisles are of three lights - there are two in the north and one in the south aisle. The transeptal chapels have a four-light east window in the lateral sides and a similar four-light east window. These are excellent windows, with embattled transoms. The chancel has pairs of lofty three-light windows in the north and south sides and a handsome east window of five lights, which is divided horizontally by a transom. The priest's doorway in the south of the chancel,which has fleurons and foliage in the arch, has been entirely renewed. Above the aisles, on the north and south sides are fine sets of six three-light clerestory windows, of the late perpendicular period, which are under a continuous hoodmould and have stepped transoms.
The aisles, chapels, clerestory and chancel all have embattled parapets, above string courses in which are carved tiny heads and fleurons. Some weathered mediaeval gargoyles can be seen above the nothern and southern clerestory windows, but these are very worn indeed.
The south porch is entirely of 19th century date. It is small and embattled, with square headed, double lateral windows. Its outer entrance arch has a hoodmould resting on shield corbels and the arch of the inner doorway is studded with fleurons.
Inside, the church is lofty, light and spacious. Its fine proportions and the beauty of the windows can be further appreciated from the interior. Although most of the furnishings (which are themselves, quite tastful) were inserted from 1850 onwards, the fabric is mediaeval and incorporates some very noteworthy features.
Arcades & Arches
The beauty of the interior is greatly enhanced by impressive Arcades. These date from the time when the Perpendicular style, (the only style which we can claim as our very own), had reached its zenith. Both aisles are divided from the nave by sets of two Perpendicular arches, which rest upon polygonal piers, with moulded bases and embattled, fleuron studded capitals.
Similar arches divide the aisles from the transepts and a further pair of arches divide the transepts from the nave.
The chancel arch matches those of the nave, but the western tower arch, which is more than a century older, is chamfered and dies into the lateral walls.
Above each of the nave arcades is an embattled stone Cornice, which is studded with fleurons and heads contains angel corbels, from which rise circular pilasters. These neatly separate the clerestory windows and support the roof.
The single hammerbeam roofs of the nave and chacel, which have angels and fleurons in the wall-plates, are impressive, although they are not original, but the roof of the south aisle does incorporate many mediaeval timbers.
The Font is octagonal and the stonework has either been renewed or re-cut. On the panels of the bowl can be seen shields, displaying the emblems of the Passion. There are fleurons in the stem panels and beneath the bowl. The Font is crowned by a 16th century wooden cover, which has a central pillar and finial, surrounded by eight crocketted supports.
Notice the hole in the botton of the central post, used for a bolt to lock and secure the cover.
Carved Stone Figures
At the west end of the south aisle, in the vestry, is a very ancient piece of carved stone, depicting two sculptured figures. this is of great interst and is certainly the oldest feature inside the church. It dates probably from the Norman period, or maybe even earlier, but exactly who or what it depicts is a mystery to the writer.
Rood Loft Stairs
To the north of the chancel arch can be seen the upper entrance to the Rood loft stairs, which remain intact and in a good state of preservation. the lower entrance is in the south-east angle of the north chapel. Besides it can be seen the Pedestal which supported the piscina for use at mediaeval altar that stood there.
South Chapel Piscina
The south chapel Piscina is still in situ, beneath a fine cinquefoil headed niche with a square, fleuron studded hoodmould.
In the wall to the north of the chancel arch are two carved Corbels, which may have been used for statues, or could have supported the upper parts of the former Rood screen. In the nave wall, directly opposite, is a pretty trefoil headed Image Niche.
The floor of the sanctuary is a considerable height above the level of the nave floor and, during the 1850's, a crypt was discovered beneath it, which was found to contain the remains of several coffins.
Poppyhead Bench Ends
The front stalls on both sides of the chancel incorporate four mediaeval Poppyhead Bench ends. These have animal armrests. There seems to be some controversy over these animals as they are mentioned in "Suffolk" by Arthur Mee, as a dragon, a unicorn and two dogs, but there is also information of another source, stating that these animals are a reindeer, a rabbit and a unicorn.
Sanctuary South Wall
In the south wall of the sanctuary is a splendid Piscina. Its arch has crockets and a finial. There are fleurons in the jambs, but the traceried head of the arch is now very battered. The original credence shelf is still in situ.
The church possesses a few Monuments which are worthy of note. On the north wall of the chancel is a small, but attractive monument. In the chancel floor are two ledger slabs, both with latin inscriptions. They commemorate John Gee (died 1729) and Edward Wilson (died 1823). the earlier ledger slab can be seen in the north chapel floor, on the north side of the altar, commemorating Wixstead Weld, who died in 1699. This chapel is now a War Memorial Chapel, and the parishoners of Moulton who lost their lives are commemorated here.
Tablet in the chancel wall, reads
Francis Seyland late Rector
Son of John Seyland of Delaware in Kent
26th December, 1676
George Hutton Greenall, M.A.
formerly Fellow of Christs College, Cambridge
22 years Rector
3rd June, 1845. 71 years
The Mortlock Memorials
The Mortlock Memorial Clock, erected by Reed and Son, Cambridge was completed in 1879.
About 150 was raised by subscriptions for this purpose. The Committee for this undertaking included the Rector, Rev. W J Josling, the Churchwardens, the Master of Christs College, The Duke of Rutland, the Earl of Harrowly, the Bishop of Winchester and Archdeacon Emery of Ely.
The cost of the clock was £121. 13. Od and of the memorial tablet £12. 12. 6d. After the payment of small expenses amounting to £1. 13. 6d the balance of £13. 15. 2d was placed in the hands of the Rector and Churchwardens on the understanding that the interest arising from it should go towards the expense of winding up the Clock. This sum is held by the Rector who pays 5 per cent interest for the same.
There is a tablet above the font saying:
In the tower of this church was placed the clock by
friends and parishioners of the Rev Edmund Mortlock,
BA for XXXVIII years Fellow of Christs College,
Cambridge. In token of respect for his character and
in memory of his benefactions to the parish.
There is also in affection, a brass on the right hand side of the alter saying: "Edmund Mortlock, 28 years Rector of this parish, died 30th May, 1873. In affectionate and grateful remembrance." On the left hand side of the alter, a similar brass can be seen to his sister.
His sister died 5th June, and was 60 years old. Her tomb is entered in the churchyard. A tablet was placed by the parishioners to record their respect and love for one whose daily aim was to do them good.
There is also an inscription on the Bible saying:
"Edmund Mortlock, BA, Rector. MDCCCXLVI."
The tomb of the Rector and his sister can be seen in the churchyard under the East Window.